Thursday, May 8, 2008

Major Project: Landscaping Yard

We started working on the yard in the spring of 2006. By the way, we both dislike doing yard work! Having to put in a new yard was the worst part of buying of new home.

The projects included building a parking place for the trailer on the north side of the house, filling in the park strip by the road with rock, building a decorative wall in the front yard, and building a fountain. Jon, Chris, and Matt helped a lot, even grandpa got involved.

I felt bad at how hard we worked grandpa.


The rock wall went together in one day thanks to a lot of help. I think it made the front yard look a lot better. Grandpa worked his butt off.


We got a large rock from Richard and Teona’s place, it was so heavy the skid-steer had a hard time lifting it, in fact I tipped over frontwards several times! We got it in place and then I drilled a hole through it so water could be pumped up through it. The fountain is a pond-less water fall.



We went back to Richard and Teona’s place and got another load of rock. The whole family got involved loading the trailer. The rock was beautiful and had a lot of lichen on it. On the way home we had a flat tire. We didn’t have a spare the same size but we tried it anyway, that didn’t work, so we had to unload the rocks at the side of the road.



One of Laurie’s co-workers put together a landscape drawing for us this past winter. I just got the sprinklers system designed. The sprinkler guy saw the drawing and said, “Boy, you’re energetic!” We had him draw in lots of plants (perennials), trees, and a little grass.

Remember we don’t like yard work.


Plans are in place to get some more rocks, locally and back down to Richard and Teona’s. As you can see from the landscape drawing, we want to have a couple of ponds and a stream connecting them, so we need a lot of rocks. If we ever quit having winter, we will be forced to go back to work in the yard.

Laurie wants to hire it out so that it gets done.

5 comments:

Chris and Lindsey said...

Sweet post it's good to see you guys are planning on keeping busy as if you're not busy enough.

jon and whit said...

FINALLY!!!! you're very first post way to go!! I'm excited for the rest of the project. Jon LOVES yard work so I'm sure we'll be up there right along with ya!!!

Matty said...

This is great, now we will get to see all of your world travels that we dont here about until you get back from them. I think I got a little too muh credit for the help with the landscaping, I dont think help on any of those occations.

Todd R. Johnson PR & Marketing Director said...

hey... wheres my invite? looks good! i cant wait to come see the progress in july for the cruise in... so is there still a room available at the "nelson inn"

Kandice said...

Yay! I love your blog. Trying to convince my parents to do the same. When you're done with your yard I'll fly you out to do mine. Looks great.